Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Trains, Planes and Treasure

A few weeks ago, I was on a train headed back home from a fabulous vacation with my parents to visit my daughter in Vermont. It was a long train ride from New York to South Carolina, so we were about 4 hours into the trip in the club car playing cards, when my mother suddenly asked if I had gotten my jewelry out of the safe in our hotel. I was pretty sure I had since I had been thinking about my jewelry being in the sleeper car which was not locked, while we were here playing cards.  I went to double check to see if it was where I thought it was in my carry on bag.  It was not. I had our sleeping car attendant pull my suitcase to see if I had put it in there while I double checked my backpack.  Not there.  The realization suddenly dawning on me of what happened.  

We had packed up that morning and were ready to check out before going to breakfast. Since I was tired of lugging my backpack around everywhere with that pouch of jewelry in tow, I decided to place it in the hotel safe so I could go to breakfast without it. When we got back to the room, I was focused on creating a video for my website and by the time I was finished, it was time to head out. I never thought about that jewelry again until we were on the train.  

I immediately called the hotel and spoke with security. They sent someone to check to see if it had been recovered. I prayed the entire 30 minutes of waiting for them to call back.  I was relatively calm, considering my greatest treasure, outside of God and my family, was in that pouch, including my wedding ring and band. In prayer, I began to thank God that he had given me those things to enjoy and if they were just for a time, then I would still praise Him.  I knew He was watching out for me and would take care of all things concerning me.  And if it was in His will that it be restored, I prayed that He had sent angels to guard my jewelry until I could retrieve it.  I sensed in my spirit, a peace that He had already taken care of it. Security called back and let me know they had the jewelry!!  The maid had discovered the safe was locked and had called security to open it.  A security manager was the one who opened the room safe, found my jewelry and placed it in their hotel safe.  

At this point, I still didn't know if it was all there. Anyone could have taken any piece of it and there would probably be nothing I could do. Keeping my eyes on Jesus to take care of all things was all I could hope for. I called my daughter from the train and asked her to book me on the next plane to New York. Two days later, I flew into Newark, New Jersey, caught another train and went straight to the hotel in New York.  I actually met with the lady who found my jewelry. I checked the pouch and it was miraculously all there.  I was so grateful. She was an angel in disguise.  

As I headed out, I contemplated, how God had taken care of me while I was taking care of others.   He knew I was out of routine and was ahead of me on the path I was traveling. "Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act." Psalm 37:4-5

So what about you?  What is the most valuable thing you've ever lost or left that was recovered?

No comments:

Post a Comment